Published on Sep 15, 2011
Pennsylvania is an odd place. Here are some weird facts you may or may not know about this historic state:
- Flattest elevation profile, yet steepest ascents/descents. (Can you say "switchback")
- Rocky terrain, yet home to the Cumberland Valley, a veritable walk in the park.
- Rednecks galore, yet north of the Mason-Dixon line.
- Home to some of the strangest industrial disasters-
- 3 Mile Island
- Palmerton Zinc Superfund Site
- Centralia Coal Mine Fire
- Cultural diverstiy: rednecks, Amish, Mennonites, and Steelers Fans.
- Disproportionate amount of beautiful women.
As far as the Appalachian Trail goes, PA sucks. However, the state's weirdness makes up for it once you get into town. So to all you PA residents, you stay classy, I'm enjoying everything about your state except for the actual trail.